Bruschetta in a Jar is the third and final recipe we made at the canning party last weekend (the first two can be found here: Pear & Ginger Preserves and Summer Squash Pickles). It smelled fantastic, but the ingredient proportions were WAY off. We only ended up using about 2 1/2 pounds of tomatoes, and were short on liquid.
I would recommend making the following changes:
- Increase white wine vinegar amount to 1 1/4 c.
- Increase white wine amount to 1 c + 1 T.
- Reduce tomato amounts to 2 1/2 or 3 pounds.
Slightly adapted from “The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving”
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 pounds tomatoes
- Chop tomatoes into 1” pieces. Drain in a colander over a large bowl for 30 minutes.
- Prepare for canning. Wash the jars and flat lids with hot, soapy water. Put the jars in the canning pot and fill the pot with hot water. Heat over medium-high heat to keep the jars hot. Place the lids in a heat-proof bowl.
- In a large saucepan, bring the garlic, wine, vinegar, sugar, water and spices to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Move some of the boiling water from the canning pot into the heat-proof bowl containing the lids. Line the hot jars up on a folded towel, and pour the water out of the heat-proof bowl and off the lids.
- Leaving ½” of headspace, pack tomatoes into the hot jars. Ladle the hot vinegar mixture over the tomatoes, again leaving ½” of headspace. Use a chopstick to remove the air bubbles. Use a clean towel to wipe off the rims, and top each jar with a lid and a tightened ring.
- Place the jars back in the canning pot and make sure they are covered by at least 1 inch of water.
- Bring to a boil and process for 20 minutes. Place the jars on a folded towel and let cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. Check the seals of the lids after 1 hour. If a seal has not formed, refrigerate the jar immediately.