Things may be winter-y and crummy over here (Today’s frozen rain? No thanks.), but that doesn’t mean we can’t bring in a little taste of the tropics. Today is National Margarita Day, so let’s celebrate!
I’ll be honest – I’m not usually one for tequila. When it comes to mixed drinks, I typically go for some vodka- or rum-based. But this marmalade-infused creamsicle margarita may have just won me over. I mean, orange + lime + blood orange marmalade? What’s not to like?
To give things a more creamsicle-like flavor, I shook in some vanilla extract and infused some coarse sea salt with vanilla bean before I salted the glass rims. It’s like a summery Dreamsicle in cocktail form. Which let’s face it, is just a win all around.
Enjoy a taste of summer all year round with this marmalade-infused margarita.
This recipe will make plenty of vanilla salt for a whole bunch of margaritas. You could also use the leftover vanilla salt sprinkled over cookies or brownies before baking, or in homemade salted caramel.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce triple sec
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange and lime slices, for serving
- Vanilla-infused salt (see below)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup coarse sea salt
- Slice the vanilla bean open, lengthwise. Then cut the bean into quarters, crosswise.
- Place the vanilla bean in a small glass jar and cover with the salt. Cover the jar and shake well. Allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before rimming the margarita glasses.
- Pour some of the salt onto a small plate. Wet the rim of a margarita glass, then dip it in the salt, turning the glass so that the rim is covered in vanilla salt. Fill the glass with ice.
- Combine the tequila, lime juice, triple sec, marmalade, vanilla extract and some ice (about a quarter cup, but the amount doesn't need to be exact) in a cocktail shaker. Cover and shake until the shaker is chilly and frosted over. Strain into the prepared margarita glass, and garnish with some lime and orange slices. Serve immediately.
Want some more margarita recipes for today? What about some margarita-inspired treats? Check out these recipes from other bloggers who are celebrating National Margarita Day with me!
- Chili Lime Margarita from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chocolate Margaritas from The Texan New Yorker
- Creamsicle Margaritas from Savvy Eats
- Frozen Mango Margarita from Noshing with the Nolands
- Lilikoi Margarita with Li Hung Mui from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Margaritas Gone Wild from Delaware Girl Eats
- Mixed Berry Margarita from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Mom’s Wicked Margarita from Desserts Required
- Pomegranate Margarita from Daily Dish Recipes
- Spicy Raspberry Frozen Margarita from The Weekend Gourmet
- Tamarind Margaritas from girlichef
- The Great Grapefruit Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Tim G’s Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Baked Margarita Chicken Wings from Healthy. Delicious.
- Chambord Margarita Macarons from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Margarita Cake with Sugar Cookie Crust from Gotta Get Baked
- Margarita Cheesecake Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Margarita Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Margarita Donuts from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Margarita Mousse from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Margarita Shrimp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Margarita Shrimp Tacos from Supper for a Steal
- Strawberry Margarita Sweet Rolls from The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Top Shelf (Margarita) Truffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla