I hope you all had a very happy holiday! Now that Christmas and all the other winter holidays are past, let’s move on to New Year’s Eve, shall we? I’ve been putting together my menu and cocktail list for our big board games New Year’s Eve party, and my list of potential recipe candidates is way too long. But at least the taste-testing is fun!
I’m mostly focusing on recipes that require little to no prep work. I want to have time to play some games myself, rather than spending all night in the kitchen! And that includes drink recipes – I’m making as many mixers and garnishes in advance as I can. Like chai butter, for some spiced hot butter rum.
Cheers to a low-key, totally fun evening!
Chai-spiced butter makes for a flavorful change up from plain hot buttered rum. Make the chai butter up to 3 days in advance to save yourself time at cocktail hour!
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces spiced rum
- 3 cups hot water
- Mash the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cardamom with the butter. Wrap the butter in a piece of plastic wrap, rolling it on the counter so that the butter is shaped into a rough cylinder. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, until it is firm. This can be done up to 3 days in advance.
- Whisk the spiced rum with the hot water.
- Place one tablespoon of chai butter into each of four warmed mugs. Pour the rum over the top of the butter and serve warm.