I was sorting through my preserves the other day, clearing room on the shelves for my most recent rounds of canning, and I came across my last few 4 ounce jars of lemon curd. (I know, you’d think that canning lemon curd would be a no-go, thanks to the eggs and butter, but there is a safe recipe in Put ‘Em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton!)
The thing that bugs me about citrus is that it is so bright and refreshing – it feels like it belongs in summer! I mean, hello, lemonade is the quintessential summer drink. And yet it is at its best in the depths of winter. Which is why I’m always eager to preserve a bunch of marmalades and lemon curds when citrus is in season – so I can enjoy them in the warmer months!
This week, I worked some of my lemon curd into a batch of sugar cookies. I actually based them off my maple sugar cookies, a fall favorite, to make a light, summery cookie.
These sweet sugar cookies have a hint of lemon flavor, making them perfect for summer parties.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons lemon curd
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract (vanilla works in a pinch instead)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Your favorite icing recipe (I use this one from Brown Eyed Baker, with a teaspoon of lemon extract added in )
- Beat the butter with the sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the egg, lemon curd and vanilla, and beat until well-mixed with the butter. Beat in the flour, baking powder and salt until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough in half. Place each half between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to 1/4" thick. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Pull one dough sheet from the refrigerator and peel off the top sheet of parchment paper. Cut into shapes using your favorite cookie cutters and space 1" apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 7-9 minutes at 375F until the edges start to brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating. I made a lemon-spiked royal icing by adding a teaspoon of lemon extract to this recipe from Brown Eyed Baker .