Yesterday was Tuesday. More importantly, yesterday was the 10th of the month, which means that everything at our co-op was 10% off.
So at lunch, it was off to the co-op, podcasts from my iPod helping the mile-long walk fly by. I felt ridiculous, grinning and laughing to myself as I listened to the most recent podcast from Joy and Tracy, but luckily there was nobody around to see. I walked as briskly as I could, my calves burning as I zoned out the world around me and tried to roll a workout into my errand.
But once I arrived, I took out my earbuds and rejoined the world. I fished fresh little balls of mozzarella out of the big tub in the deli section, smiling as I finished labeling my container and handed the Sharpie over to the man picking up fresh feta. I carefully balanced a French baguette on top of my basket. In the bulk foods section, I side-stepped the woman contemplating black or red lentils to fill up my containers with farmer-ground whole wheat pastry flour, dried black beans and popcorn kernels. Before making my way up to the register, I visited the dairy case for a block of local salted butter, and the produce section for a bunch of fresh parsley.
This pasta makes for a great casual dinner with friends (it makes a lot of pasta!) with a simple side salad. Serve it with some red wine. Though this recipe calls for parsley, it would also be great with basil or arugula. Inspired by Tracy's Angel Hair Pasta with Chile, Lemon and Arugula.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped parsley
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by browning the breadcrumbs. Heat them in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often so that they don't burn. Once they are golden and browning, remove them from the heat. Watch carefully--this will happen quickly!
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. Before draining, scoop out 1/3 cup of the cooking water and set it aside in a mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, brown the garlic in the oil. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low, then add the garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is browned and fragrant, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and 1/3 cup cooking water to the garlic oil. Toss with tongs to coat the noodles with the oil.
- Toss in the breadcrumbs until they stick to the pasta. Stir in the parsley, tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.