Last year, on our first married Christmas, Dan and I started a new tradition; we wait to have our first mugs of rich and creamy hot chocolate of the season until the day we put up and decorate the tree. And then on Christmas morning, we sip hot chocolate while we unwrap our gifts. Both times, I spike the chocolate with creme de menthe or Irish cream for an extra festive flair, and top the mugs with marshmallows or homemade whipped cream.
This year, I experimented with topping the mugs of peppermint hot chocolate with a creme de menthe-spiked whipped cream. I highly recommend it; it elevates the flavor to a whole new minty level. If you’ve never made whipped cream before, don’t worry! It is incredibly easy. And once you’ve had homemade, you’ll never go back to the stuff in the can.
(Clearly, I did not take this photo quickly enough and the whipped cream melted into the hot chocolate!)
More hot chocolate related posts (all from February’s Hot Chocolate Week):
- Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate: What’s the Difference?
- Brain Food 101: Keeping Your Hot Chocolate Hot (a justification for all the marshmallows and whipped cream!)
- How to Make the Perfect Hot Chocolate
- Chai-Infused Marshmallows
- Clementine Whipped Cream
- Gifting Hot Chocolate (some great last-minute gift ideas!)