At first glance, this meal seems somewhat unhealthy. I mean, bacon and fried potatoes?
But look closer.
Sure, there is bacon in there. But only a quarter pound of it… 4 or 5 slices. Just enough to give you that savory, meaty bacon flavor and texture.
And instead of adding more oil for the pan-fried potatoes, I just used the bacon grease that was still in the pan. Plus, I think potatoes get a bad rap. We just need to get over that, people.
And then there is the whole “1+ cup of veggies per serving” deal. It is in the form of corn and zucchini here, but can be easily changed out to suit the season.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go pick up some more bacon and potatoes. Because even though we had this for dinner just last week, I’m craving it again…it is just that good!
This single-skillet meal is perfect for both breakfast or dinner, as a main dish or a side. Feel free to sub in different vegetables, depending on what you have on hand. It doesn't matter how many vegetables end up being included, but I aim for approximately 4-5 cups of veggies overall.
- 1/4 pound bacon (4-5 slices)
- 4-5 Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (approximately 3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried and ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 small-ish zucchini
- Chop the potatoes and onions into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high and add the bacon. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the edges are crispy and browned. Remove from the pan and set aside in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut the corn off the cob and chop the zucchini.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the skillet, along with 1 teaspoon of paprika and the coriander. Cook, flipping occasionally with a spatula, until the potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside when pierced with a fork, about 10-13 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when the bacon is cool enough to handle, tear it into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the potatoes and onions from the skillet and add to the bowl with the bacon.
- Add the corn, zucchini, 1 teaspoon of paprika, pepper and salt to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are browned and tender, about 6-10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir the bacon and potatoes into the vegetables until well-mixed. Serve.
Copyrighted by Julie Grice and Savvy Eats