Travel Snack #1: Snack Mix. But not your typical Chex mix!
A lively update to the traditional snack mix, this mix has more flavor and less salt than the commercial variety. The dried pineapple adds a fantastic burst of tart sweetness.
Unless you plan on eating 3 billion cups of snack mix each on the plane, you’re going to have some extras. Give the extras to the people who are pet-sitting for you (thanks, Pete and Katie, for watching the birds!) or the ones driving you to the airport (thanks, Cheryl!). It can be part of their ‘thank you.’
- 1 1/2 c pistachios
- 2 cups cashew pieces
- 8 cups cereal squares (I used Corn Chex)
- 3 cups sesame sticks
- 2 cups dried pineapple
- 2 cups dried coconut chunks
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- Preheat oven to 275*F. In a greased 9" x 13" pan, bake the pistachios and cashews for 7-8 minutes.
- Move half of the nuts to a second greased 9" x 13" pan. Divide the cereal, sesame sticks and dried fruit evenly between the two pans.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, soy sauce, fish sauce, olive oil and curry powder. Pour half of the sauce over the mix in the first pan. Toss so that all the dry ingredients are coated. Bake at 275*F for 40-45 minutes, until relatively dry. Spread the mix onto paper towels to cool.
- Toss the remaining sauce with the second pan of dry ingredients. Bake and spread onto paper towels to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight plastic bag or container.
Copyrighted by Julie Grice and Savvy Eats
FOOD & WINE is giving away a year-long subscription to a lucky reader from Savvy Eats. Click here to enter and read official rules here.
This post is part of a series featuring recipes from the FOOD & WINE archive. As a FOOD & WINE Blogger Correspondent, I was chosen to do four recipes a week from FOOD & WINE. I received a subscription to FOOD & WINE for my participation.