1. The way we take one mistake or joke and extend it into an entire conversation. Case in point:
Text from Dan last Wednesday: “I am going to grab and drink with aaron god coralee. Love you.” (can you find the autocorrect?)
Text from me: “Wow, you’re having drinks with god?”
Me: “What’s he like?”
Dan: “Tall and cloudy.”
Me: “Not too tall for the bar though?”
Dan: “He puts the roof back on when he leaves.”
Me: “Well, that’s nice of him.”
2. Our two-hour-long walks with the dog, when we talk about our dreams and our plans and the day-to-day.
3. His singing. On our very first Valentine’s Day, 7 years ago, he surprised me with a performance by his college a cappella group. He’s been singing to me ever since. For instance, he and his friends sang at our ceremony, and when we walked down the aisle after our wedding ceremony, he softly sang along with the music so only I could hear.
4. The way he tries to give me feedback when I’m testing recipes, even though he usually can’t put words to the flavor he is tasting.
5. We went out for a fancy Valentine’s Day dinner a few weekends ago, because we knew restaurants would be busy on the 14th. For tonight, we made the deal that I would make us a nice dinner, and he would get me a traditional, “cheesy” Valentine’s Day gift. I thought that meant I’d be getting flowers and chocolate, but instead, I got flowers and…cheese. To fit the “cheesy” requirement.