Now that the temperature is rising outside, I’ve been focusing on two types of entrees:
1. Those that can be grilled (Time outside! No turning not he oven or stove!).
2. Those that can be served cold. Since we don’t have air conditioning, our house tends to be hottest and stuffiest around dinnertime. So if I have something I can prep in the morning, when I haven’t shut up the house yet and the window fans are still blowing in coolish air, it keeps things just a few degrees cooler later.
This egg salad is one such dish. I just hard boil the eggs while I’m eating breakfast, and then mix everything up while I’m eating lunch, setting the salad in the fridge to chill until evening.
And as a bonus, frozen chives work beautifully here – I just toss them in, straight from the freezer. So we can enjoy this egg salad even when the chives slow down this summer!
Traditional egg salad gets lightened up when fat-free Greek yogurt steps in for half of the mayonnaise. If you don't have chives, try this egg salad with dill as well.
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced chives (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel and dice the eggs. Mix all ingredients together and chill. Serve over a green salad, on a sandwich, or over crackers.