These savory scones are studded with caramelized onions and prosciutto. Enjoy them with a bowl of soup, on the side of some scrambled eggs, or just on their own.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup caramelized onions Here's how to make them
- 1/4 cup prosciutto, cut into thin slivers
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a food processor fitted with the dough hook, a pastry cutter or two knives, work in the butter. The butter pieces should be pea-sized by the time you are done.
- Work in the milk and egg until the dough is shaggy and there are almost no dry spots left. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Fold in the caramelized onions and prosciutto.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, dry surface and press it into a 3/4"-thick rectangle. Slice into 2" squares. Space the scones 1 1/2" apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400F for 13-16 minutes, until the tops are firm and beginning to turn golden-brown. Allow to cool on the pan for a minute or two before transferring the scones from the pan to a cooling rack.
Make Ahead and Storage