It’s Flatbread Day!
I usually make my own pizza and flatbread crusts, but I just wasn’t feeling it this time around. My stand mixer bowl was still in the dishwasher, waiting to be cleaned, and I was exhausted and short on time. So instead of making my own dough, I pulled some naan out of the freezer and used that as my base.
To bring some fall flavors to our table, I used apple butter in place of the typical red or white pizza sauce. I added some grilled chicken, sautéed shallots and mozzarella cheese to round it all out. If you grill the chicken in advance, dinner can be on the table in 20 minutes, start to finish.
I’m definitely going to go the naan pizza route again in the future, especially since I’m guessing I will have my hands full on a lot of nights come spring. It is so easy and quick!
Come to think of it, I should really make another naan flatbread this week. With all the kitchen-painting going on, I’m really not going to want to spend a ton of time cleaning up in the kitchen. Plus, everything that has ever had a place in our kitchen, save the big appliances, are currently stacked on tables and in boxes in the dining room, making cooking a bit of a pain. I’ll be relying on freezer meals and simple dishes like this flatbread for a few more days!
This flatbread calls for apple butter in place of a red or white sauce, to bring a fall flavor to the table. Feel free to grill the chicken in advance to save yourself some time later - with precooked chicken, the time required for this recipe is only 20 minutes!
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 pieces naan bread
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, thinly sliced or shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat until cooked entirely through. Cut into small bite-sized pieces.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pieces are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Spread the apple butter over the naan, leaving just 1/4" border around the edges. Top with the chicken and shallots, and then layer the cheese on top.
- Cook at 400°F for 12-15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve warm.
This recipe is part of the Fabulous Flatbread Challenge, hosted by Rachel Cooks. Head over to Rachel’s post to learn more about the challenge and the prizes that are up for grabs. Plus, you can link up your favorite flatbread recipe! There are a few other bloggers participating in the challenge as well, and all of their flatbreads sound fabulous – especially the ones with fall ingredients like pumpkin, butternut squash, pears and apples. You can find links to all of their recipes on Rachel’s blog post as well.